Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Orson Welles Quotes
















A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.

I passionately hate the idea of being with it; I think an artist has always to be out of step with his time.

The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.

I want to give the audience a hint of a scene. No more than that. Give them too much and they won't contribute anything themselves. Give them just a suggestion and you get them working with you. That's what gives the theater meaning: when it becomes a social act.

I do not suppose I shall be remembered for anything. But I don't think about my work in those terms. It is just as vulgar to work for the sake of posterity as to work for the sake of money.

For thirty years people have been asking me how I reconcile X with Y! The truthful answer is that I don't. Everything about me is a contradiction and so is everything about everybody else. We are made out of oppositions; we live between two poles. There is a philistine and an aesthete in all of us, and a murderer and a saint. You don't reconcile the poles. You just recognize them.

The picture shows Orson Welles as Macbeth in 1948.

No comments: